Former Name: Wright
Creation: Establishment during 16th Century
Barangays: 44 Barangays
Just like other places, Paranas came under the rule of the Spanish throne. When the Spanish conquistadores dropped anchored at its shore, they found some of the native deeply engrossed in picking and catching shellfish and crabs. Asked for the name of the place and not comprehending a word coming “Palanas” by the conquistadores. The poor native surmised that the Spaniard was asking for the name of the wide and slippery stone so visible that very moment being low tide. Another colorful version is that the name of “Paranas” is a derivative of the “Para-Ranas”, meaning “the place of the frogs”, because it averred that when the Spanish soldier set foot in the place on their mission of colonization, they encountered plenty of croaking frogs.
Records reveal that its founders were farmers named Gumban, Tamayo, Manicabo and Masurong. Paranas was established during the early part of 16th century when the Jesuit Missionary established Mission Center in Paranas to Spead Christian Faith in Samar. On the year 1768 in which Jesuits left Samar and hanced over the Jesuits mission to the Spanish Franciscans, Paranas was already one of the first parishes of Samar together with Catbalogan, Gandara, Catubig, Catarman and Capul that they also took over the administration on October 17, 1768. (Source Quardricentennial of the Christianization of the Calbayog Diocese, 1596-1996).
The Spanish-American War erupted, thus, putting an end to the more than 300 years of Hispanic domination over the island. In the process, the Philippines, once a part of Spain was ceded to the United States of America. But while under the Spanish flag, the Paranasnon as her sons and daughters are fondly called, portray their part of the game courageously. Shredding blood and tears they fought long and hard and resisted against the advancing American invaders.
General Curry, leading the American troops was commissioned to subdue the region including Paranas. Stout-hearted, the natives seeing the American soldiers opted to fight rather than surrender. Bloodbath abused between the two opposing forces for so many days resulting many lives lost in both camps. During one of the bloodiest encounters in the thick forest, General Curry lost contact with his men. Alone and weary, he grouped his way out of the leech-infested wilderness, without direction, for three solid days when a native chanced to pass his way. Despite the travails of war, the native showed concern and compassion toward the American, He saved the officer from sure death. The story is retold by the native old folks that General Curry brought with him to America his Filipino Savior. Immediately after the Spanish American War, General Curry, recommended that the name of the town which was then Paranas, be changed to “Wright” in honor of Governor-General Luke Wright, Who was the Governor-General of the Philippines of that time.
The municipality carried the official name “Wright” for several years. However, in view of nationalistic fervor, the Sangguniang Bayan Sponsored a Resolution No. 1 Series 1988 dated January 11, 1988 clamoring for the restitution of the name Paranas instead of Wright. The name PARANAS was officially adopted a new by virtue of RA 6681 which took effect November 4, 1989